As summer has come to an end, so has many of the farmers market, but for us the mushroom season is just beginning! Here are 5 ways for you to enjoy our mushrooms this fall and winter:
- Tacoma farmers market on Broadway! Running every Thursday till the end of October from 10am – 3pm, still lots of fresh vegetables, plants, pasta, craft and other goodies. For more info click here.
- Gig Harbor Farmers Market! We will be at the indoor market every Saturday from 9am – 3pm until the 20th December. The indoor market is great as the weather turns colder and you will be able to find lots of great x-mas gifts; gourmet oils and salts, candy, photographs, jewelry, candles, wine and more… For directions click here. We bring fresh and organic shiitake and oyster mushrooms, wild chanterelles and lobster mushroom when available, a wide selection of dried mushrooms – with the option of having them gift wrapped in a mason jar (perfect x-mas gift for any mushroom lover!) to all farmers markets. We also hope to have a mushroom seasoning line available in November.
- Grocery stores! The shiitake and oyster mushrooms are available at the Food Market in Key Center, Tacoma Food Co-op and Tacoma Boys on 6th Ave. All great stores, the coop has a wide variety of bulk products and all organic vegetables (members receive a discount) and Tacoma Boys have a great variety of specialty items – including Danish cheeses, jams and real ryebread! (Pretty exciting for Astrid)
- Join a CSA! Terra Organics delivers organic fruit, vegetables and specialty products (incl. Theo’s Chocolate!!) to the greater area around Tacoma. You can put together the content of your box yourself – and include our shiitake!
- Restaurants! Is there anything more cozy than going out for a meal on these dark and cold evenings? Make sure to look for mushrooms on the menu, a restaurant chef’s take on the fall fungi may just inspire and revitalize you. At least that was how I first got excited about mushrooms; chicken breast rolled in porcini and morels and a chantarelle, porcini and hazelnut risotto! Yep. The places to check out are: Arista Pasta, Brix 25, Grassi’s, Marzano(check out their oyster mushroom dishes) Maxwell’s Restaurant and Lounge, Betty’s Mushroom soup at Taste of Peru, the Mushroom Burger at Gourmet Burger Shop and don’t miss out on the shiitake, prosciutto and caramelized onion pizza at Paesan! Who’s hungry?
So, still quite a few ways to enjoy delicious, healthy and yummy mushrooms this fall and winter!
And remember, if it just keeps raining and raining, go for a walk in the woods and count how many different mushrooms you can find 😉
If you have any inquiries, contact us here.
Adam and Astrid